Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Road to VSG

      "Something had to change." These were my thoughts as I once again sat at over 250 lbs. I had known several people that have had Gastric Sleeve surgery and were very successful in their journey. I decided to reach out to them and get the basic information to see if it was something I would be interested in. After every single person said the same thing "It was the best decision I ever made," I knew I had to look into it. I filled out the insurance check online to see if it was covered under my plan because I knew the cash price ($14,500) wasn't an option.
       Once  I received the phone call saying that the surgery would be covered under my insurance, I scheduled my consultation. I had no idea that the requirement's from the insurance would be so extensive but I guess they want to make sure you're serious about having this surgery.  From start to finish it took 4  months. I had my consultation in July and had surgery in November. I had to have Labs, Psychological Consultation, Nutrition Class,  3 Weight Management Classes and an Endoscopy. 
      At my consultation I weighed 266 lbs. On the day of surgery I weighed 206. Luckily insurance goes with that initial weigh-in or else I would have been under the BMI requirement which is 40. I went back and forth with myself wondering if it was even necessary to have the sleeve done. I was doing so well with weight loss on my own why wouldn't I just continue to do what I had been doing? Well, for two reasons: The first is I had been down this road before. I would lose a significant amount of weight and with the snap of a finger start gaining it all back. I would lose focus and drive and go back to my old ways. Whose to say this time would be any different? I would be done with my best friend's wedding  which was my motivation and once it was over I would say to hell with it. The odds of staying on track would be slim to none. The sleeve allowed me to not quit on myself. The second reason: When would I have this opportunity again? My out of pocket was met, therefore the surgery was covered at 100% The only cost I was responsible for was the anesthesia. After praying about it, I knew I wanted to go through with it. 
       Throughout the process I think the hardest part was the two week liquid diet prior to surgery. Protein drinks and broth isn't the most appealing when you're hungry. I did lose 15 lbs. but it was hard, especially because during my two weeks was Thanksgiving. My theory was, I have had 32 Thanksgivings in my life so far, it wouldn't  hurt to skip this one. Giving up the caffeine was hard too, I love my coffee. A lot.
        I'm now 10 weeks post op and weigh 184 lbs. and I feel great. The first few days were rough as far as feeling nauseous and having upper gas pains but medicine and walking helps with that. I had the surgery on  a Monday and my husband went back to work on Friday so I was back to my  normal routine by then. I was cleared to workout at my two week post op appointment. I had an initial fear right after surgery that I wouldn't be able to enjoy certain foods again and had that feeling of  regret because I was like "what did I just do?" But I can basically eat whatever I choose now. Some foods don't go down as easy so I avoid them. Mainly more starchy foods but that isn't a bad thing. Too much sugar or high fat foods can make you sick which is what I need anyways so I look at that as a blessing. My portions are smaller but not tiny. I still choose to eat clean because I am striving for a healthier way of life.
       I am excited for the future. I'm not  afraid that I'm going to gain weight back. For once in my life I have confidence in myself that I can obtain this healthy lifestyle. I can't wait to reach  my goal weight of around 150 lbs. I am proud of myself for losing the initial 80 lbs. but know having the sleeve is what will help me lose the rest of this weight and keep it off. It is a tool. I still have to eat the right foods and exercise.
       It's not about perfect. It's about effort. and when you bring that effort every single day, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs - Jillian Michaels 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment